Want to work with Clojure in Berlin?
Red Pineapple Media distributes video advertising to more than 50 markets, and we've been expanding consistently since we started 6 years ago.
Our engineering team is built around a strong culture of teamwork. Code reviews, joint presentations and group decisions are standard for us. We'll often pick up the projector and do pair programming on the big wall of our office, or just sit together in one of our quiet rooms to prepare architectural changes or to give peer-to-peer feedback.
We care deeply about continual improvement, and have an RFC process in place to enable team members to influence our evolving standard and practices.
We’re in an exciting phase right now as we’re transitioning to programmatic buying and selling of advertisement space. The number of non-trivial challenges ahead is large, and the learning opportunities rich. From intelligently bidding for advertisement space in real time, to applying clustering and classification techniques to improve ad targeting, our future is full of opportunities for functional-programming goodness
What attitude are we looking for?
- You have a strong sense of ownership and responsibility;
- You’re ready to work independently, clearly define problems, and objectively evaluate tradeoffs of potential solutions;
- You’re naturally motivated and proud of doing great work;
- You believe that clear communication (including documentation and Git history) are a key part of good software engineering;
- Your thought process is guided by rationalism and evidence rather than gut feeling or tradition;
- You enjoy diversity (including differences of opinion), and have a humble attitude when engaging in discussions;
- You sincerely welcome constructive criticism, and communicate with regard for the feelings of others.
What do we value in people?
- Code needs to be read by humans, so you write code and documentation optimising for clarity;
- You understand the importance of testing and automation, and avoiding repeating the same mistakes;
- You get things done not only when starting exciting new projects but also when refactoring inelegant legacy code;
- You're ready to work daily with Linux systems, AWS, Git, Docker and a steadily growing Microservice infrastructure;
- You’re ready to embrace the DevOps way of life, because an Engineer’s work doesn’t end after ‘git push’;
- Your studies were in computer science, mathematics, engineering or a related area;
- Alternatively: you have an awesome GitHub profile to show off :-)
- You have worked with Clojure, ClojureScript, or other functional programming languages (and you're interested in learning Clojure!);
- You have worked with distributed systems and have dealt with problems related to concurrency, performance and fault tolerance;
- Curiosity is a constant in you. You don't settle for the same language or paradigm for too long and are eager to experiment and learn new things.
What we offer
Compensation of €42,000 - €60,000.
Never a dull moment. Besides writing code, we also do our own DevOps, testing, retrospectives, planning, architecture, peer-to-peer evaluation, coffee and cooking.
Small teams, lots of freedom
Every few months we organise in small teams around well-defined business objectives, and we have complete ownership over the approach and process used to achieve them. This includes: planning, work methodology, design, development and maintenance. We also decide when and how to tackle technical debt, and we are the sole owners of these decisions. Then, after some time, we reset the teams and choose new challenges to work on.
A safe haven for functional programmers
Even if your background is in non-functional programming, if you want to do functional programming then Red Pineapple Media is the place for you. You’ll find as many challenges here as learning opportunities. You’ll also have the chance to try new things and explore. We regularly hold research weeks where you can spend your time investigating and building anything you want.
Friendly environment plus quiet rooms
We regularly hold team breakfasts, barbecues, and ping-pong matches. We’re super animal friendly: 4 dog owners, 2 vegans, 1 vegetarian and a cat-loving CEO. Naturally, dogs are welcome in the office. But we also optimise for focus and have quiet rooms where you can do power-naps, meditate or just work in isolation.
Do what you want - and own it
We believe that when given independence and room to grow, people tend to do great things. If you want to learn something new, fix that annoying Elasticsearch performance problem or focus on creating nicer looking brandings or reports, it’s up to you. As long as our business objectives are achieved, you own and control your time and what to do with it.
About Red Pineapple Media
Red Pineapple Media is a passionate, dedicated team of content and marketing professionals connecting advertisers, publishers, and consumers all over the globe. We’re driven by one simple goal: deliver campaigns that mutually benefit the advertiser, publisher, and the consumer. It’s a strategy that has seen us successfully help over 300 advertisers increase their exposure and boost online media ROI in more than 56 markets – and counting.
You can learn more about us at https://www.redpineapplemedia.com.
Get information on how to apply for this position.